Chandrachoodan does photowalks of both areas and I am sure he has better
ideas.

Along with Rasi Silks take him to rangachari on eldams road - a much more
traditional establishment.

Rasi's silk choice is rather poor - head to nalli in T Nagar (or just tour
T Nagar for the heck of it, if he appreciates crowds)

Non hindus aren't allowed inside at least some part of various hindu
temples, so going inside kapaleeswara might be a non starter

Thaths [20/02/13 17:50 +0630]:
An American friend of mine is going to be in Madras soon. He is interested
in a walking tour of Mylapore and/or George Town. I'm thinking of taking
him around myself.

What are some of the stops in a walk around Mylapore and George Town that I
should not miss?

Here is a tentative plan I have in mind:

1. Mylapore
Start at the San Thome bascilica
A walk around the temple tank
Inside Kapali Temple and explaining the hierarchy of Hindu gods and the
rituals
See the (scaffolded) temple chariot and explain the 63 Nayanmar festival
Rasi Silks
Giri Traders
Walk around Mada streets and see the market
Stop at Ambika Stores and Grand Sweets for an introduction to Indian
pickling (Ambika) and snacking (Grad Sweets) traditions
Perhaps a stop at R.K. Mutt
Dinner or tiffin at Karpagambal Mess or Simply South (next to RK Mutt) (or,
last choice Saravana Bhavan)

2. George Town
Start with some talk about the architecture of colonial buildings on drive
to George Town (point to Ripon Building, Central Station, Southern Railways
Building, etc. along the way)
An aside about the glories of Moore Market that used to exist
Start with a walk around the High Court. Emden bombing, indo sarcenic
architecture
Broadway and show the buildings where some law firms operate nearby
Parry's corner, Burma Bazaar, GPO
Walk around some of the side streets where businesses cluster together
Lunch or snack at Rambhavan or Ramakrishna Tiffin Home (or Agarwal Sweets)

What are other places I could take him to?

Thaths
--
Homer: Hey, what does this job pay?
Carl:  Nuthin'.