On 02-Jul-2013, at 7:56, Ashwin Kumar <ashw...@live.in> wrote:

> Yup. That was the first time I saw Ganesha and his wives. My recent trip to
> Gujarat (6 holy-shmoly days) was a revelation in terms of cashing in on the
> "God" factor.
> Key takeaway:  If you are a brahman, your path to moksha is assured if you do
> a 11K+ pooja at Dwaraka. Anything less, and you need to rely on your good
> karma.

Ha ha.  They all get greedy.

The first words the priests at the mysore chamundi temple have for you is
"dakshina kodi" (please give me your gift of some money).

Then there's the pandas in kashi and puri .. awesome amounts of greed there.

Compare that to some other temples - like the nellaiappar in tirunelveli.  When
we were there some months back the priest was running short of supplies for the
puja and some people visiting the temple had to step out and buy flowers, oil
and camphor.  Which is kind of sad ..