On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Mark Seiden <m...@seiden.com> wrote:

> my book reading has gone down, but the size of the books-i-should-read
> (someday) list has grown dramatically.
> now all i have to do is find time to read them.

Amen, brother!

While I love my Kindle e-ink reader, I remain a fan of dead tree books. DRM
and the nightmare of bit and software rot has kept me away from purchasing
too many e-books. Less than 5% of my collection of books is electronic.

Music and videos, on the other hand, the ratio is flipped. Less than 5% of
my audio/video collection is in physical media.

One thing I've found myself doing more these days is reading long form
articles from the web on the Kindle. Amazon has a nice chrome
extension<https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/send-to-kindle-for-google/cgdjpilhipecahhcilnafpblkieebhea>to
send pages from the web to your Kindle.

> (andrew carnegie, to atone for his other sins involving coke mining and
> steel, donated money
> to build almost half of the 3500 libraries in the US by 1919 and almost
> 800 outside the US).

The farthest flung Carnegie library I've been to is the one in Suva,
Fiji<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Carnegie_libraries_in_Africa,_the_Caribbean,_and_Oceania#Fiji>
.

Thaths
--