Okay Tim :-) I guess I have to rise to this occasion.

Madhu, when exactly are you in SF?  I can arrange a tour for you of Anchor
Steam Brewery (the original craft beer renaissance mecca in North America).
I happen to know their primary brand ambassador, Bob Brewer (his real name)
who is retiring this year after 30 years (so this is a limited time offer).
Bob is entertaining and incredibly knowledgeable about craft beers and
spirits around the world (Anchor is also a distillery of award winning Gin,
Genever and Sour Mash Whiskey).

Brew pubs in SF (and Oakland) are also pretty great (although you're
correct that there are currently more of them in Portland :-).  Stephen
O'Grady would rush in to say *real* Portland (as in Portland, ME) is the
craft beer heart of America :-).  Magnolia is pretty great, though.

And then there are cocktails.

Absinthe (mentioned earlier as a brunch and late night pick for food) is
generally acknowledged as the place that revitalized the American cocktail
bar) and their other place, Comstock (in North Beach)...but these days
their cocktails aren't as interesting as places like Bourbon and Branch
(and their much groovier new place, Tradition) in the Tenderloin, adjacent
to the theatre district. Alembic in the Haight is interesting. We also like
Beretta on Valencia and 23rd in the Mission, especially after 10:30pm (its
just too busy before that) but you have to ask for their "special" cocktail
menu.  They do serve food until 1:00am, which is pretty rare.

I wouldn't be a good booster if I didn't call out the Interval Bar at Fort
Mason. It's a schlep, but its run by serious protogeeks and their cocktails
are divine (and you can learn about their LongNow Foundation projects,
including building a 10,000 year clock and supervising the de-extinction of
the Passenger Pigeon and the Wooly Mammoth...yes, really).

And if you really want Portland brews, there is a Rouge Brewery outlet
tucked away in North Beach...

<3 D