Native populations often significantly reshaped landscapes and areas. The
following paper, which seems quite good, makes the case for Amazonia.

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/royprsb/282/1812/20150813.full.pdf

Does that strengthen or weaken the case for renaming Mebourne to Marr?
Heaven knows. The native populations cannot be considered to totally lack
instrumental ability, the ability to colonize or the ability to engage in
environmentally destructive activity.

 - JB 007