In Kannada (and many South Indian languages), there are two possible
pronunciations of the sound corresponding to the English letter L.
Wikipedia says these are called Retroflex Lateral Approximant and Retroflex
Lateral Flap. Usually, while transliterating Kannada, they're written as l
(as in shaale or school) and L (as in baaLe or banana). Many people who are
unfamiliar with these sounds cannot pronounce the two differently.
When you add to this the fact that heLu in Kannada means tell and helu
means shit, there is scope for an abundance of beautiful toilet-humor-ey
puns. Imagine the wrong pronounciations of "tell me now" or "tell me in my
ear" or "tell me right here".