"Sleeping policemen" is idiomatic in the UK, too - sufficiently to have
been used as the basis of a TV advert, I recall!
The ones in India are deep deep undercover I suppose, because they are
almost never painted or marked.

Lately I've been seeing how much russian I pick up by osmosis, using pop music and internet memes as primary sources.

Today I saw an image labelled « лежачий полицейский »; sounding it out, that's /lezhachiy politseiskiy/. Sure enough; even though the picture was of a policeman asleep, the usual connotation of that phrase is exactly what we've been talking about.

-Dave