Thaths wrote:
On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 6:42 AM Jude Britto<jude.bri...@gmail.com>  wrote:

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, but NYC has a working cable car
system connecting Manhattan to Roosevelt island.
The cars can apparently take 110 people, but they make only 115 trips a
day.

True, but I would not classify it as Mass or Rapid.  Can you imagine a
cable car system being able to deal with the NJ-NY traffic?

Cable cars might replace some of the local surface transport in much the same way that they operate in San Francisco. Cable car systems make more sense in hilly terrain, but they used to be much more common than they are now. GM and one of the tire companies (I forget which) bought up the cable car systems in many U.S. cities so they could shut them down and force people to buy automobiles.

Cable cars can be spaced really closely. At peak times, a cable car leaves Market Street in SF every 15 seconds.

--hmm