Wow, what a collection. I thought "meen kuzhambu" was just one
dish...I realize now, there is a whole variety. Being an impure
vegetarian (I'll try anything once!), my researches have necessarily
been very cursory. I don't like the taste of most fish. Rohu and
Bhetki maacher jhol being made in the landlord's home downstairs from
us was never a very happy memory....it's only now, with layers of
nostalgia sanitizing the remembered smell, that I am able to look
back.

And.... I am intrigued by the word "saivam" for vegetarian in Tamil.
Saiva would be a follower of Siva...so how does that go with
vegetarianism? Many followers of Siva are staunch non-vegetarians....
so is Saivam as opposed to Vaishnavyam (followers of Vishnu)? The
association of certain foods/diets with certain religion is most
interesting. Would like some information on this word and its origin.