Sent from my iPhone
> On 4 Aug 2016, at 06:24, Deepa Mohan <mohande...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Wow, what a collection. I thought "meen kuzhambu" was just one
> dish...I realize now, there is a whole variety. Being an impure
> vegetarian (I'll try anything once!), my researches have necessarily
> been very cursory. I don't like the taste of most fish. Rohu and
> Bhetki maacher jhol being made in the landlord's home downstairs from
> us was never a very happy memory....it's only now, with layers of
> nostalgia sanitizing the remembered smell, that I am able to look
> back.
>
> And.... I am intrigued by the word "saivam" for vegetarian in Tamil.
> Saiva would be a follower of Siva...so how does that go with
> vegetarianism?

Vaishnavism came to the south from the north. So did the meat eating culture.
Until Vaishnavism arrived people of the south worshipped Shiva and were mostly
vegetarian. Soon the word acquired an additional meaning and later a full
semantic shift.

> Many followers of Siva are staunch non-vegetarians....
> so is Saivam as opposed to Vaishnavyam (followers of Vishnu)?

Interestingly I have heard "vaishnav bhojan" being used for vegetarian meals,
interestingly by Jains, if I remember right. Or was it just marwaris.