On 04/09/17 15:21, Sriram Karra wrote:

> *"Conclusions: Increased access to the Internet by adolescents has created
> unprecedented **opportunities for sexual education, learning, and growth.
> Conversely, **the risk of harm that is evident in the literature has led
> researchers to investigate **adolescent exposure to online pornography in
> an effort to elucidate **these relationships. Collectively, these studies
> suggest that youth who **consume pornography may develop unrealistic sexual
> values and beliefs. **Among the findings, higher levels of permissive
> sexual attitudes, sexual preoccupation, **and earlier sexual
> experimentation have been correlated with **more frequent consumption of
> pornography. Researchers have had difficulty **replicating these results,
> however, and as a result the aggregate literature has **failed to indicate
> conclusive results. Nevertheless, consistent findings have **emerged
> linking adolescent use of pornography that depicts violence with **increased
> degrees of sexually aggressive behavior.*

I suspect that porn viewing causes harm through misinformation, but not
through some kind of "can't get aroused by real human beings"
psychological damage. Although the misinformation may lead to
psychological damage...

Is porn addiction really a thing? If so, is porn the problem, or is this
just something a person with a compulsion issue has latched onto in some
cases, and they'd have latched onto something else otherwise?

I think one must be careful here. Suppose studies found:

 * People get addicted to porn
 * People who view porn lots have a higher than usual level of mental
illness, particularly sexual dysfunction

...you can't blame porn based on *just* that (although that situation
would justify doing further studies), because it may be that people with
pre-existing psychological issues are more attracted to porn than others.

I probably sound like a porn apologist... I'm not. I think the idea of
consenting adults sharing pictures/videos of themselves shagging, or
factual or fictional written accounts, etc, for their own or their
recipient's titilation or for money, is perfectly fine and even
laudable. But the porn *industry* is horrible, exploitative, and is
spreading disinformation.

As a parent: We're very open with our children about sex, with a view to
pre-educating them before they get misinformed by their peers or the
Internet...

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym