On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 3:40 PM Peter Griffin <peter.grif...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 9:32 AM Udhay Shankar N <ud...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > Like it says. What have you started or stopped believing in in 2019, and
> > why?
> Kindness, and its importance. Not so much a changing of mind as a slow
> realisation over time. It is, in a way, related to 'assume goodwill,' which
> I'll always be grateful to Udhay for, for putting into words something I
> had tried to practice in a woolly kind of way. Thinking about it recently,
> I found my own words for the shift my mind has made: kindness is the
> highest form of wisdom.

I had a similar experience, especially in rampant unthinking use of tech in
all aspects of our lives as well as thinking about what is happening
in the world.

This story illustrates this well --

Source : The book "The everything store" By Brad Stone on the rise of Amazon.

""
My grandparents belonged to a Caravan Club, a group of Airstream
trailer owners who travel together around the U.S. and Canada. And
every few summers, we’d join the caravan. We’d hitch up the Airstream
trailer to my grandfather’s car, and off we’d go, in a line with 300
other Airstream adventurers. I loved and worshipped my grandparents
and I really looked forward to these trips. On one particular trip, I
was about 10 years old. I was rolling around in the big bench seat in
the back of the car. My grandfather was driving. And my grandmother
had the passenger seat. She smoked throughout these trips, and I hated
the smell.

At that age, I’d take any excuse to make estimates and do minor
arithmetic. I’d calculate our gas mileage — figure out useless
statistics on things like grocery spending. I’d been hearing an ad
campaign about smoking. I can’t remember the details, but basically
the ad said, every puff of a cigarette takes some number of minutes
off of your life: I think it might have been two minutes per puff. At
any rate, I decided to do the math for my grandmother. I estimated the
number of cigarettes per day, estimated the number of puffs per
cigarette and so on. When I was satisfied that I’d come up with a
reasonable number, I poked my head into the front of the car, tapped
my grandmother on the shoulder, and proudly proclaimed, “At two
minutes per puff, you’ve taken nine years off your life!”

I have a vivid memory of what happened, and it was not what I
expected. I expected to be applauded for my cleverness and arithmetic
skills. “Jeff, you’re so smart. You had to have made some tricky
estimates, figure out the number of minutes in a year and do some
division.” That’s not what happened. Instead, my grandmother burst
into tears. I sat in the backseat and did not know what to do. While
my grandmother sat crying, my grandfather, who had been driving in
silence, pulled over onto the shoulder of the highway. He got out of
the car and came around and opened my door and waited for me to
follow. Was I in trouble? My grandfather was a highly intelligent,
quiet man. He had never said a harsh word to me, and maybe this was to
be the first time? Or maybe he would ask that I get back in the car
and apologize to my grandmother. I had no experience in this realm
with my grandparents and no way to gauge what the consequences might
be. We stopped beside the trailer. My grandfather looked at me, and
after a bit of silence, he gently and calmly said, “Jeff, one day
you’ll understand that it’s harder to be kind than clever.”
""