I have terrible memory, so how best to take notes and be able to search and
find them later is probably something I worry about every single day.

Your current query is about: books and long-form online articles. I am
guessing you mean non-fiction works.

   - *Non-fiction books*
      - *Physical*: I use highlighter/pen/pencil to underline and take
      notes on the pages. Decades ago, I used to consider writing in a book a
      sacrilege. Now I am the polar opposite :-)
      - *Ebook*: I avoid epub/ebook formats and get the PDF version. If
      there is no PDF, I export ebook to PDF. The PDF format supports
      annotations. You can annotate (highlight, underline, text, draw,
jot) on a
      PDF using PDF programs on desktop (Windows/Linux) and tablets (Android).
      And these annotated PDFs are viewable in standard PDF viewers on _all_
      platforms. I love this versatility of the PDF format.
      - For both types of books, if I like the book, I usually write an *online
      post/review* <https://codeyarns.github.io/personal/> with a summary.
      So this is the place I first head to.
   - *Long-form online articles*
      - After reading the article, if I like it, I keep a Markdown file
      where I take notes (link to article and bullet list of my summary). This
      used to be a ASCIIDoc file, but now that Markdown is supported
everywhere,
      I use that. Recently I switched to a Git repo hosted on Github for these
      Markdown files. Github has online Markdown viewer and editor, so I can
      search, read and edit all in the browser itself!