>  Ni Orsi writes:
>
> > 1.  It left a film on my glass that was light yellow and very hard to
> > get off, in fact I still have not got all of it off.

That yellow film *can* be removed chemically.

I've used copper cleaner, like you'd use to clean your copper bottom
cooking pots. A little on a rag or sponge etches the glass clean
*instantly*. I've heard others suggest using vinegar, which acts
more slowly.

The important thing to remember is to *WASH*, *RINSE*, and *RINSE*
again thoroughly, several times. You want to be starting with clean
and uncontaminated glass.

When cleaning glassware, you should

1) scrub, etch, or any other aggressive treatment first,

2) wash with soap or detergent to remove any residue,

3) thoroughly rinse with tap water to remove the soap,

4) finish with at least a double rinse of distilled water,

5) air dry to avoid contamination from the towel.

Chemists and what-all may do a lot more than just this, including
various sequences of solvents or acid etches, depending on what
they're trying to remove and what they're using the vessel for. What
I've described should be quite sufficient for what we're doing.

Be well,

Mike D.
[mdev...@mail.id.net                       ]
[Speaking only for myself...              ]