W. D. Cavanaugh wrote:

> I make my CS in a clear gallon pickle jar usually.  I let it make
> for about an hour.  There is absolutely no sediment, and never a
> need to stir-- the "cloud" floats from the wire. When the hour is
> up, the CS in the jar has a lavender cast.

I've seen the lavendar cast when I put an ounce or two of CS into a
quart or so of filtered tap water for drinking (sipping) throughout
the day. If I dilute it with distilled water instead, the gold or
amber color is diluted, but there is no lavendar hue.

It's reasonable to think that it is caused by some sort of chemical
change, perhaps on account of the different pH, hardness, or
whatever, of the tap water.

What I would assume, in your case, Wil, is that the very beautiful
ground water you are using *still* has quite a few ppm of dissolved
salts and minerals. It's very good drinking water, probably superb,
from the way you describe it, but still a lot more "loaded" than
distilled.

Whether the CS you're making is good or bad we really don't *know*.
Your preparation might be more like the CS made using salt, or
somewhere in-between that and distilled only. We've no indication
that either one is bad, and little to go on in your case.

It never settles out on the bottom of the jar? Do you have a TDS
meter, or have you ever had it tested for ppm?

I don't think I'd be afraid to experiment with it, but others
wouldn't be as trusting. I bet if you used distilled water the system
would *behave* a lot differently, taking a real long time to get
started and probably generating the "sludge" on the wires that we
talk about. So you're fortunate to have water that is very soft, with
so few dissolved minerals that it actually makes passable CS.

If I tried that with *my* water (I did) I'd get a real ugly "soup"
really fast!  I wouldn't drink it if you paid me. <g>

Be well,

Mike D.
[mdev...@mail.id.net                       ]
[Speaking only for myself...              ]