On 12 Jul 98 at 23:28, Whitney wrote:

> Mike, your thoughts are reasonable, sound, diplomatic, productive,
> constructive.

Thank you, Whitney.

> Perhaps some of the exasperation so many feel about MD's grows out
> of the fact that the medical establishment has indeed achieved such
> important, life-saving discoveries and treatments, that
> *they*and*we* somehow have gotten the misconception that they are
> supposed to know everything and help everyone every time.  If
> *we*and*they* could remember that they are just humans like the rest
> of us, doing their best and sometimes succeeding, sometimes failing,
> we could drop the resentment and get on with the business of helping
> people be healthy.

We can't control *them*, only ourselves. Doctors, administrators,
bureaucrats, and politicians will continue to be arrogant,
insensitive, controlling, and sometimes evil -- if the individual
chooses to be. The system will continue to encourage those
behaviors. Changing all of that is beyond the scope of this list,
and probably beyond the abilities of all of us devoting our entire
lives to such a cause.

We *can* make being out here with the individualists and thinking,
rational beings a more attractive prospect than slaving away within
the confines of the "mainstream". Maybe we'll win a few to our ranks,
or to our way of thinking, and seed a few more agents of change
inside the beast.

Be well,

Mike D.

[mdev...@mail.id.net                       ]
[Speaking only for myself...              ]