I called Hanna Instruments and spoke to their chemist to find out exactly
what the TDS-1 does and how it does it.  It was instructive.

Their chemist said the TDS-1 actually measures conductivity between the two
probes and uses this to estimateTotal Disolved Solids.  According to the
chemist, it is usually used for measuring salts and things like that, but
it can be used for testing solutions like Colloidal Silver also.  However,
she was careful to tell me to use the TDS-1 only to give relative measures
and not to compare the result to a commercially tested solution.  She said
the TDS-1 is not specifically made for testing CS and will not give an
exact measurement.  Furthermore, she said that it tests solids rather than
ions.  I think that is somewhat different from my previous understanding.

The TDS-1 puts out 6 volts from one probe and measures how much current
reaches the other probe.  The measure is then multiplied by a conversion
factor of 0.5 to get the parts per million (ppm).  She said a different
conversion factor would have to be used for silver, but wasn't sure what
the correct factor should be.  I suspect that the conversion factor for
silver should be lower because metals (like silver) should be more
conductive than salts and would therefore give a higher reading relative to
salts.  This might explain why I got a result of 18 ppm for my home-made
brew and got a whopping 98 ppm for a commercial brand that claimed it was
10 ppm.  For all I know, though, the commercial brand has other stuff in it
or was made from water that wasn't distilled first.

It seems to me that I need to find a water lab that can tell me exactly
what I have and then I'll have to calculate a conversion factor to measure
my solution in the future.

If any of you experts out there has better information, or can give me some
direction, I'm anxious to hear from you.  I think I had assumed that the
TDS-1 would give me an accurate measurement of the ppm in my CS.

Have a great weekend everybody.

Bob Wells