I am unable to access the Thomas Millar article cited here. It must have
been removed from the Infocom server. Does anyone have a copy I can borrow??

Dean

-----Original Message-----
From:   Frank Matzka [mailto:fmat...@senet.com.au]
Sent:   Tuesday, April 28, 1998 4:37 AM
To:     silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject:        Voltage & Current.

I know there was a couple of articles recently about how much silver
is in a CS solution based on calculations relating to current in the
production process. These articles referred to current but not
voltage. Can we assume that voltage is not relevant in any way to the
production. (sorry for my electrical ignorance). I ask this because
I've seen various devices described running from 1 X 9 volt battery, 3
X 9volt batteries, plug packs supplying 30 volts etc.

The Thomas Millar article (http://www.infocom/~thomil/silver.htm)
suggests that the particles are produced by "mechanical" action, the
current knocking off small particles of silver as it passes through
the solution. If so then presumably the higher the current the bigger
the particles. And this is where the colour comes into it
(apparently). Another article states that the smaller the particles
the lighter the colour. Clear for  best/smallest, light  yellow for
acceptable, then onto to brown, green and gray for much bigger
particles.

However. Thomas Millar says that the longer you take to produce a
solution, the more likely you are to form chemical compounds with any
of the impurities or salts in the solution.  As I understand it pure
distilled water is not conductive and at least a tiny amount of sodium
chloride is required to allow current to pass thru it. So there will
always be at least some silver chloride in with the colloidal.
Apparently most silver compounds are described as being a pale yellow
colour so I suppose it's hard to destinguish between optimum silver
particle size and the amount of impurity in any given solution.

I also presume that a larger electrode surface area would produce any
given ppm concentration faster than a smaller one. eg a 1cm strip of
silver would be faster than a 12 guage wire. Is this correct? And if
so how can we calculate the difference?

Does the conductivity of the solution change as the  ppm goes up? I
ask this because Bob Lee mentioned in one of his posts that his
current starts low and slowly rises as it goes along.

Sorry to barge in with so many questions without so much as an intro
from me :) But you guys have convinced me CS is worth a go and I'll be
building a generator as soon as I clear up the above.

Best regards ....... Frank

List maintainer: Mike Devour <mdev...@id.net>