I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I think if one does their research
and factors everything in they will be able to make an informed choice
that works for them whichever 'diet' they choose. Talking with breeders
that are into 3rd and 4th and upwards generations is an excellent way to
get a handle on what works best for them and how their stock is etc, and
you can go from there.  When I did all the research 7 or 8 yrs ago I
learned what I could. We had purchased a 2.5 yr old trained guard dog to
live with us during our short stint in the Bahamas. I'd practiced on a
'rent a dog' for a few weeks prior to his arrival with awesome results.
(shudder- don't even ask! What deplorable standards.....sigh)

This new dog was chewing a  bone  I had given him -  roughly a 10"
curved beef rib bone . I needed to put him in the house while I went and
got laundry as the workers were afraid of him and he hadn't been with us
long. When I reached for him, he thought I was trying to take his bone
and he inhaled the whole damn thing!!!! I was freaked out to say the
least. I figured there was no way it was coming out whole through in his
bowel movement and he wasn't vomiting it back up. I thought for sure
this $6k dog was about to die!! Oh my gawd what a night.  The quality of
the vets there was um, well questionable, so I had their number and I
waited it out with him- stayed with him all night on the bed, all the
next day... nothing. Did a lot of research that night, talked with a lot
of people on line, they said no worries, we were feeding a pretty well
rounded diet and they were all correct- his body broke the bone down. He
had absolutely no problems at all. In 3-4 months of feeding raw to him
he was a completely transformed dog, it really was incredible.

We have been feeding raw every since.  Although I do know there are
supporters of NOT supplementing or feeding veggies... I personally do
notice when the diet is not varied enough or we leave out the oils and
supplements, their coats are the first to show it, then goopy eyes,
energy level etc.