Why not just get distilled water from the grocery store? What I get is 89
cents a gallon, and while I am sure chemists and purity fanatics will
excoriate me for this, it is fine for home use.

I wouldn't use well water for making CS/EIS, because even if you have it
analyzed, it can change over time as the aquifer moves. Don't reuse the
milky translucent jugs to store finished CS/EIS, it will taste plasticky,
and that means you are getting chemicals added that you probably don't want.
Yes, some are in there to begin with, but PETE plastic is better for
storage. I have had silver plate out on glass jars, which reduces the
effectiveness of your product.