Hmm, well, all the cheap stainless I've seen in recent years is invariably non-magnetic. I personally seriously question the statement that stainless steel doesn't leach nickel (and or any other of the alloy metals). I know that is what is claimed. But I've my own personal experience to say SS does leach nickel, and that it leaches enough to cause me problems. One site I was reading on last year, which was singing the praises of SS and hyping the "dangers" of aluminum cookware said that anyone with a nickel allergy should avoid using SS at all. And on a nickel allergy site I read that some people with nickel allergy can have problems from using hair spray that comes in pressurized cans, because nickel leaches into the product. I also read the SS industry site which claims no leaching, chemically inert, etc. However, my experience says if SS didn't leach nickel, I would not have experienced such a reduction in my allergy reactions simply from changing my pots and pans.
sol

Ode Coyote wrote:
The higher the nickle and chrome content, the more it costs, the less it rusts , the harder it is to put an edge on it and the less a magnet sticks

 Cheap and/or hard sticky stainless....will rust and stain...very slowly.
It doesn't have the same silver look 'luster' as the high alloys, more like the steel sink.

Since it doesn't rust, is virtually chemically inert, there just isn't much of it in the alloys and stainless is VERY tough abrasion resistant stuff, it's not likely that very much chrome or nickel is escaping the crystal lattice structure of the steel in any case and exposure to these metals over a period of time is probably many times higher in soil, food and air than in foods eaten by flatware or boiled in a stainless pot.