I did experience reactions like that from time to time when I would try one remedy or another for my undiagnoable condition. I did not know what a herks was, just thought the reaction was a bad thing, and I would stop taking the remedy that caused it. After a number of years during which things went slowly downhill I eventually was diagnosed by an allergist with allergic fungal sinusitis, and was told to go online and find some support groups. That is where I learned what herks was, and that if I wanted to get well, I would have to gut it out with the diflucan. It seems to be a biological mechanism of the fungal organism when stressed, it can release significantly more toxins than otherwise. That is only significant if you are growing a variety that can emit toxins, and then it has the correct conditions to do so.

There are several species of fungi that can be toxic, but only under certain conditions, and this includes the infamous stachybotris.

According to Dr Shoemaker's work with toxin mediated illnesses, there seems to be a switch that gets flipped in some people that instead of getting rid of the toxins, the body appears to recirculate them instead. Thus the adsorbent resin (cholestyramine, rx) or charcoal to help bind them before they get recirculated. Eventually, when the toxin load is reduced sufficiently, the switch can be flipped back to normal, for some. He does certain genetic tests to see which people are likely to respond to which therapy. If I recall, there are a few things he knows of that do set this off in some people: Lyme, Estuarine Syndrome (red tide disease, a toxic algae), and toxic mold exposure.

The funny thing to me is, that I took the diflucan for 18 months before I started the CS, and the reaction I am having is slightly different than I had when I first started with the antifungal. First thing is I get *really* thirsty. If I don't lay off a little, my joints start to hurt. That did not happen with the diflucan, and I have not heard of it with this either. So, there is a different bug in a different place that it is going after, I am guessing. Seems like it was/is everywhere.

It is possible you do not have the dreaded genotype for toxin mediated illness as defined by Shoemaker, etal. Only a small percentage of people end up impaired like that. I apparently was also spared the worst case scenario of some of his patients, as I am improving on my own, without using any binders like charcoal, cholestyramine or clays. So, my body apparently is able to excrete toxins, just maybe slower than most. I think those candida type protocols would be a good idea, however, since I have tried the charcoal on occasion, and found it helpful.

Kathryn