I'll try the alcohol thing next time I get a tick. I get several every year.
Doubtful, but worth a try.
Here's why.
Back in the forestry days on an herbicide contract in Alabama, we'd come out of the woods covered with ticks and scrape them off into a cup of the herbicide. [VelPar]
The carrier was pure Methanol.
Those ticks would walk around under the Methanol for 20 minutes. Amazing little buggers.

A tick can live for months without breathing.
Up to two years without eating.
 I think maybe the Methanol sucked the water out of them.

Maybe Isopropyl is different somehow.
I doubt it'll smother em, but maybe it'll piss em off.
The "off" part is the good part. I know a hundred other ways to kill em. [Like Kerosene Lamp racing ]

Ode