it is some oxide of silver. I had that happen one time a few months back when I disconnected the resistor which keeps the current low enough to not do that. It is from not having any control on the current. If he put a resistor in the middle somewhere in series, that would not be as likely to happen. Mine is called a potentiometer, and I can set it where I want it, usually under 1 mA.

What I did was to put the electrodes, black gunk and all into a jar with fresh distilled water and left it for a few days (it turned back into cs all by itself). Then I decanted the clear solution, which ended up being *really* strong, watered it down with distilled water to be about 10 ppm- I do not like it too strong, my body has hissy fits. My son, otoh, liked the strong stuff as is.

When it finally settled down & I checked it after a couple of weeks, it read around 60 uS.

Kathryn