In message <4743d07a.40...@blackfoot.net>, Levi Philos <leviphi...@blackfoot.net> writes
I knew the ring voltage was higher cause I got a shock while rewiring a phone line once. Always thought the normal working voltage was lower, like perhaps 24 volt. Obvious to me that the 9 volt ac transformer is creating mostly the ionic silver, and I need to get higher voltage to get small colloidal size. I can handle it; don't need any more info.

Normal phone line voltages are roughly 50V DC on the hook, 12V DC off the hook (in use) and 75V AC ringing voltage. So you can get a DC tingle from the line even when it's not ringing. Not quite as surprising as a ringing shock though.

I tried the AC at 50Hz and the conductance of the water did not vary at all and there wasn't even a hint of the ionic silver. I think the AC method really does require slow alternating or a much higher voltage to force a greater current through the water to drive the silver particles clear of the electrodes to prevent instant re-plating.

I like the idea of the phone line ionic silver generator. Theoretically it would require little more than a resistor to limit the current from the line in it's standby (DC) state. The resistor value would have to be high enough to limit the current through the water to a sensible level and also to prevent the exchange from misinterpreting the current flow as indicating that the phone had been picked up.

If you draw too much current the automatic exchanges will detect it during their automatic testing and may flag your line as bad. A few milliamps would be no problem though. A 24K (24,000 ohm) quarter watt resistor would give a max of about 2mA for instance.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com