Hi All,

My beloved Andy is a 10 year old double-merle border collie who has recently
had his second geriatric blood panel done. I was looking to ease his arthritis
with a prescription NSAID, but when the panel came back with all 4 of the
enzyme levels high (2 were moderate last year), we couldn't do the
anti-inflammatory after all. So, we opted to try a month on Sam-E and Milk
Thistle, and the numbers have gone down, but not very much. The vet is
recommending an ultrasound & biopsy. So I guess I have a few questions:

Does CS do much for the liver? Anyone have a dog whose liver recovered with
remedies other than drug therapy? Anything particularly effective? Should I be
expecting better results with the Sam-E than I'm getting? (I was told it would
help with joint pain and help detox the liver...). He hasn't been diagnosed
with Hepatitis; the doc just described it as similar to cirrhosis or weakening.
I don't understand that, really...

Perhaps I'm hesitant to do the biopsy because I had a dog who was living with
cancer diagnosed, but then I opted for the biopsy, which seemed to "awaken" the
cancer cells in the tumor so that it exploded in growth and I had to put the
dog down much sooner than expected. Not looking to repeat that.

And last but not least: any thoughts on a diet that a liver-sick dog will eat?
He turns his nose up at nearly everything these days. Frustrating...

Thanks for any advice.

Heather