All I knew or could find out about CS back then was....almost absolutely nothing...which alone was enough to figure out how not to do it.
Total ignorance is an opportunity to dispel tradition.

  I never thought using salt was a good idea and never tried it.
As a former seat-o-the pants electro-plater, I always used de-ionized water in the vats...and..current control set by observation. "Purity and the right current to match the shapes was very important to results. "Burnt" edges and un-plated inside corners that need bleed wires teach about ion discharge in reverse, by observation.

The idea was to make "silver water" not "silver and who knows what" water.

If you don't know what's "supposed" to be in there, don't use it until the results say you should try something else you know nothing about. After the initial "Nope, black ain't it"... the results just said tweek the current and observe closer, nothing else needed. [Try not to burn it next time, ey? ..like, creep up on it with a garden trowel and a don't use dynamite first.]

Surprise!  "Silver water" is NOT light sensitive...like EVERYONE said.
..and if I don't do *that*, it doesn't get [burnt] yellow like everyone said it should be.

Ode

At 09:56 AM 12/23/2007 -0600, you wrote:
Morning Ode,

>> At 07:48 AM 12/23/2007, you wrote:

That's pretty much my first attempt to make CS...almost didn't dare pour it down the drain and *some* people will drink that stuff.

  I find it hard to believe that you screwed up your first batch ?

I did a perfect job on my first batch, and every batch since.

It must be the very high tech,  super complex generator that I use.
Or it may be the control system that controls it.   <grin>

I know........ some people get carried away and wind up in Cloud 9.

Wayne

List maintainer: Mike Devour <mdev...@eskimo.com>