They are generally limited to about 30 mA, and not usually lethal. I speak from one who has gotten "bitten" a few times. But they sure as hell hurt!

Marshall

Dan Nave wrote:
If you are not familiar with the difference between series and parallel circuits, measuring volts and amps, etc, stay away from that neon sign transformer!

Although, it is designed to be current limited,
so it *MIGHT* not kill you...

Dan

Clayton Family wrote:
LOL!

Last time I dead shorted something was maybe 15 years ago when I was installing a new elec box behind my stove. That was a stupid thing to do too. Then I kept on resetting the circuit breaker until I broke that! I finally called the electrician to come out and tell me where I went wrong (and I don't mean in my childhood). Sometimes my brain just goes on vacation, I have no excuse.

I replaced the fuse and my meter works again. That's good- I guess I quit while I was not too far behind, I didn't fry the whole unit. I am glad I asked.

The wall wart says it is a class 2 power supply, input 120V AC 60hz 20 w, output 24V DC 500mA. I did not realize there was a difference in those small units used to power all kinds of gadgets around the house. I have not looked at them closely. I thought transformers were more for high voltage applications, like neon signage and such. I do have one of those too, but they scare me.

My regular 3 battery setup works fine. I was trying to see where to set the potentiometer to keep the current controlled with an AC to DC power supply. I just looked at my meter, and it says right on it the max for that setting is 400mA. Darn it. If I hook it up to the other lead, it will measure up to 10A, so I guess that is the way to go, then when I get the pot. set, so the current is low, maybe then I can move the lead to the other side.

Kathryn