Greetings Beautiful people of the CS art,

  Let use now fast forward again to Jan 9th of 1834.

  We find Michael Farraday in his lab, trying to express his findings in
such a way that others who read his writings will understand what he is
saying. He is looking to find a natural reference for his work. Let us
read what Farraday has writen in his lab notebook.

  Seventh Series, Chapter 11, note 661: The theory which I believe to be
a true expression of the facts of electo-chemical decomposition, and
which I have therefore detailed in a former series, is so much at
variance with those previously advanced, that I find the greatest
difficulty in stating results, as I think, correctly, whilist limited to
the use of terms which are current with a certain accepted meaning. Of
this kind is the term *pole*, with its prefixes of positive and
negative, and the attached ideas of attraction and repulsion. The
general phraseology is that the positive pole *attracts* oxygen, acids,
&c., or more cautiously, that it *determines* their evolution upon its
surface; and that the negative pole acts in an equal manner upon
hydrogen, combustibles, metals, and bases. According to my view, the
determining force is *not* at the poles, but *within* the body under
decomposition; and the oxygen and acids are rendered at the *negative *
extremity of that body, whilst hydrogen, metals, &c., are evolved at the
*positive* extremity.

 Note 662: To avoid, therefore, confusion and circumlocution, and for
the sake of greater precision of expression than I can otherwise obtain,
I have deliberately considered the subject with two friends,(A note
here: Whewell, British scholar and John Tyndall) and with their
assistance and concurrence in framing them, I purpose henceforward using
certain other terms, which I will now define. The *poles*, as they are
usually called, are only the doors or ways by which the electric current
passes into or out of the decomposing body; and they of course, when in
contact with that body, are the limits of its extent in the direction of
the current.The term has been generally applied to the metal surfaces in
contact with the decomposing substance; but whether philosophers
generally would also apply it to the surfaces of air and water, against
which I have effected electro-chemical decomposition, is subject to
doubt. In place of the term pole, I propose using that of *electrode*,
and I mean thereby that substance, or rather surface, whether of air,
water, metal or any other body, which bounds the extent of the
decomposing matter in the direction of the electric current.

 Note 663: The surfaces at which, according to common phraseology, the
electric current enters and leaves a decomposing body, are most
important places of action, and require to be distinguished apart from
the poles, with which they are mostly, and the electrodes, with which
they are always, in contact. Wishing for a natural standard of
electrical direction to which I might refer these, expressive of their
difference and at the same time free from all theory, I have thought it
might be found in the earth. If the magnetism of the earth be due to
electric currents passing around it, the latter must be in a constant
direction, which, according to present useage of speech, would be from
east to west, or, which will strengthen this help to the memory, that in
which the sun appears to move. (A note here:The north magnetic pole was
established by Gilbert and direction of current flow in the earth was
established by Ampere, Arago and Oersted). If in any case of
electro-decomposition we consider the decomposing body as placed so that
the current passing through it shall be in the same direction, and
parallel to that supposed to exist in the earth, then the surfaces at
which the electricity is passing into and out of the substance would
have an invariable reference, and exhibit constantly the same relations
of powers. Upon this notion we purpose calling that toward the east
(upward,the way the sun rises) the ANODE, and that toward the west
(downward, the way the sun sets) the CATHODE, and whatever changes may
take place in our views of the nature of electricity and electrical
action, as they must affect the *natural standard* referred to, in the
same direction, and to an equal amount with any decomposing substances
to which these terms may at any time be applied, there seems no reason
to expect that they will lead to confusion, or tend in any way to
support false views. (A note here: All of Farradays experiments were
conducted in long troughs which were orientated east and west, to agree
with the earths current. We see that Farraday based his standard on
Gilberts standard, and we still use it to this day.) The *anode* is
therefore that surface at which the electric current, according to our
present expression, enters: it is the *negative* extremity of the
decoposing body; is where oxygen, chlorine, acids, &c., are evolved; and
is against or opposite the positive electrode. The *cathode* is that
surface at which the current leaves the decomposing body, and is its
*positive* extremity; the combustible bodies, metals, alkalies, and
bases, are evolved there, and it is in contact with the negative
electrode.

  To be continued

  Bless you  Bob Lee
--
oozing on the muggy shore of the gulf coast
  l...@fbtc.net