This is an interesting and fun and essentially free way to test if you are magnesium deficient.
http://www.psha-inc.com/guai-support/sf/TasteTests.htm

My personal experience is you can test deficient in something, and supplement it and feel even worse. Nobody talks much about the balance between these minerals. I might actually make up all 3 test solutions and keep them in the fridge and test daily for a while. I think it would be interesting to see how much how they taste to me varies from day to day, or week to week.

FWIW, my sodium test was indeterminate (at the amount of salt in 8 oz water, had I quadrupled the amount of salt it would have tasted delicious to me, the saltier the better--this is how I tell how much salt in water to take), magnesium says I'm deficient, and potassium says I don't need any extra. The potassium chloride I had to spit out, no way I could have swallowed it.
Kinda fun.
sol