Probably a connection with diet and possible retention of something in the plaque layer or in the saliva. On some days, after eating certain un-namable things, a finger print on a jar can make a batch of EIS go brown while the next batch using the same jar and water won't.

Not liking to clean the toilet, I pee into a jar and pour that into the toilet so I can't "miss" One day I decided I didn't like a particular jar after using it once, washed it quite well, triple rinsed it and put it back for future use elsewhere. Weeks later I made a very large batch of EIS [CS} and split it between my normal storage container and that jar.

The portion that went into that jar instantly turned muddy brown while the rest remained crystal clear and colorless. Attempts to duplicate that have failed, indicating that something was "special" on that pee day...also proving that glass isn't as impregnable as commonly thought.

Experiment:
If your teeth get brown or grey, pee into a sample of your EIS and see if it goes brown or grey?

Back wash from drinking directly out of a storage bottle will sometimes make the EIS go muddy reddish or muddy purple.

Ode