  From: Wayne Fugitt<mailto:cwa...@netdoor.com>
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com<mailto:silver-list@eskimo.com>
  Sent: Monday, June 30, 2008 5:59 AM
  Subject: CS>Fertilizer and the Magic of Growing

  Morning Nancy,

  At 03:42 AM 6/30/2008, you wrote:
  >Fresh manure can burn if in direct contact with roots but not composted
  >manure.  Or keep it away from the roots.  Applying on the soil but not
  >right next to the stem can work.

     Wisdom of the ages for sure.   That applies to most all fertilize.  I
  have practiced that for many years. Not sure where, when, and how I learned
it.

  One Example.

  When I planted my 400 blueberries, the experts said, "Do not fertilize them
  the first year".

  What foolishness !

  I formulated and mixed my own analysis.  Weighted it carefully on a grain
  scale.

  I even cut own 1/4 cup plastic measuring cup and hand applied this several
  times per year.
  Yes, I was very precise in keeping the fertilize a specific distance from
  the plant.
  It was a bit of work hand fertilizing the 400 blueberry plants.

  Guess what ?  After one years growth, I harvested 2000 pints of berries.

  Unheard of by the experts.

  One of my thrills came about by,
  One smart dude a few miles away had 3 college degrees.  I only beat him
  about 100 times growing blueberries.

  Then, a few years later, the head of the state college Soil Test Lab, and
  the head of our
  Blueberry Research Center, and two other Horticulturist were all grazing
  blueberries in my field.

  That is when they said, they had never anywhere,  period, under any
  conditions seen any blueberries that grew as fast as mine.

  At one stage they were 12 to 15 feet tall, 12 foot rows, with limbs
  crossing in the middle.
  ( from the weight of the berries )

  You could stand in one place and pick 5 quarts of berries.

  So, ........ someone tell me something about growing Blueberries.  <grin>

  Relative to Cross pollination, you could stand anywhere in the field and
  touch 3 different varieties.
  How about that ?   Yes. I did that right also.

  Being a NON-Conformist often pays off.  Many times my gut feeling and
  instinct overrides the ideas and facts offered by the experts.

  Of course I consult with the experts and weigh their ideas along with
  mine.  And in many cases I do what they suggest.

  But often my Crystal Ball is the final decision.

  Just an old country redneck from another planet.  Not many know about it.

  The name of the planet is called,  "Growing".

  Wayne