Evening Faith,

At 06:01 PM 8/15/2008, you wrote:

Steve, what measures ppm? I know it's been mentioned on this site but I was not ready to really pay attention. thanks. Faith G.

 You asked a loaded question...........

I have stated many times, NO true PPM meter exists. Ask the instrument manufacturers.

One chemists stated there was one, but he was talking about laboratory instruments costing thousands of dollars. Not a simple meter that most can afford, or want to afford.
Likely it is several meters masquerading as ONE !

 Even the meters that READ PPM have internal calculations that guess at ppm.

They are in fact EC meters.   Nothing more or nothing less.

Every EC meter I have seen or used had to be calibrated.

Either buy the calibrating solution or make it.

I have never seen a single message about calibrating the TDS meters.

Are they Self Calibrating ?   I doubt it.

I always use a laboratory grade EC meter to check my non laboratory EC meters.
Why not ?

And of course I have computer EC sensors that cost several hundred dollars.
Yes, they have to be calibrated, and scale factors calculated. (pH sensors also )

Typically, I believe only calculated ppm are close. Even then, some other things may enter into the picture.

ppm usually means every thing in the solution, not just one or a specific item.

Yes, some instruments exist to measure a single item. Not that common or cheap.

I have written programs that does the ppm calculation for most of my purposes, even one that
does backwards ppm calculations.

Surely someone has written a program to do the Faraday Calculation.
I could do it and many others could also.

That should make most CS makers happy.

Wayne