----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Rose" <s9...@penguinmail.com>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 11:21 AM
Subject: Re: CS>Re: Linux

There may be an easier way to get into Linux for you.  The Linux
distribution that has the most momentum right now is Ubuntu.  This is
because Mark Shuttleworth, a gentleman that made his money in the
internet boom, started a company to take Debian Linux and refine it and
support it.  It's still free, but you can buy support if you need it.
This support is mostly for business, but the Ubuntu forums are quite
active and you can find answers for issues relatively easily.  Ubuntu
releases every six months (unlike Debian) and stays much more up to date
without running the bleeding edge version.  A lot of effort is put to
making the install process simple.  Also, you can boot the install cd
and try it out without installing it.  Go to:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

and check it out.  You'll probably want to start by downloading the
image of the install cd here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

You'll need to burn this to a cd, then boot from that cd to check it out
and/or install it.  I would start with a spare pc.  That would let you
run it until you get used to it.  There's a learning curve with these
things just everything.  :-)  I would suggest at least a one gigahertz
machine with 512 MB of memory.  It's possible to get along with less of
a machine, but it will be more painful.  I've run free operating systems
for many years and Ubuntu for the last few.  I'm still running some
Windows, but eventually I expect to be mostly Ubuntu.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I have started a Linux folder to collect information. The cd is a good idea. Faith g.