Food spoils eventually, there are always problems and sometimes mistakes. When this happens, it is not always someone's fault. As a nation, we need to get over it. Things happen, life is not without risk. Once again, when the public, or significant interested parties, like a large business, demand a no risk situation, it leads to more regulation, more pesticides, which can lead to worse problems than the one they are meant to solve. As Ode says, it is not always a foreign country with lax standards or no oversight.

Many of our small organic farmers were deeply hurt by the floods last year, probably all the small farmers.

I also read the other day some woman who said that hybridizing was the same as genetic engineering, which is a bald faced lie- she is a biologist, and works for GE, so I guess you could expect her to disseminate such disinformation, but it still angers me. When people such as she say such lies, it really muddies the issue for the lay reader. I really don't blame them for being so ignorant- one really must spend time to find out what is going on. It also does not hurt to have a good education, and to be taught to think for yourself- which is a fast disappearing quality in the schools, what with the push for national standards which by their very nature turn out test taking graduates, instead of people that can think independently. <sigh> rant over for now.

Kathryn