Hi Mike, some things occur to me; not all the organics are volatile at
boiling or below; as an example of this consider that some purification
processes use steam distillation to carry over oils in a water bath.
Further the stainless may leach something into the boiling water,
something it's pores could hold with a tenacity that resists rinsing and
the initial "drive off the volatiles" process.  Glass is best, some of
the old pyrex stuff is available at goodwills, though it's a little
small for the batches you're making.  You might try using a vacuum to
lower the B.P., in conjunction with a closed system; say a pressure
cooker and a coil condenser.  I used to run a pressure cooker with a
homemade cooling coil of stainless immersed in a cool-water bath and
directly into a glass jug.  worked pretty well. I've ended up with a
R.O. system and then a mixed resin bed de-ionizer, gets both pos and neg
ions, and get water down to a nominal 0.1 microSiemens as measured on a
com 100.  Thass good enough for me, also passes the taste test.  When
tasting water, though, it's a good idea to have a comparison sample of
water you can trust; rinse and go back and forth a few times..

Rainwater may or may not be good, depends on what pollutants may be in
the air.  Temperature control can be a significant factor, glass is
always best, borosilicate lab glass.  So-called soda glass, common, is
not the ultimate, but usually works, 'specially after a (VERY tiny) bit
of sodium has leached out of it, but that's down to Assay work.

Hope this helps,  Malcolm