Well, I was going to stay out of this and do what I've been doing to TJ's mail
forever - deleting unread.  I have several objections to these posts.

FIRST, TJ is well aware that there is an off-topic list for topics unrelated to
CS

SECOND, as usual, TJ simply posts a link with absolutely no commentary or
original thought.  I long ago decided that I personally felt this was arrogant
of him, to assume his judgment about the value of the linked material should
be accepted unquestioningly, and others should therefore take the time to
access the link before knowing if the subject is remotely interesting to them.
I may miss some stuff I'd like to know about, but if TJ can't take the time to
write a few lines about what he found valuable in the linked material, I don't
have the time to follow him around.  I'll just have to make do with my own
research on subjects of interest.

THIRD, I, too, have been uncomfortable with other people's email addresses
showing up in the address lines of his posts.  Is TJ likewise sending my email
address out to people I don't know, and wouldn't want to have contact with?  Is
this, perhaps, one of the reasons I've been seeing more and more spam?

To be honest, I've been thinking lately about removing myself from the
off-topic list, anyway.  It seems it has turned into nothing more than a
constant barrage of people (particularly TJ) posting links, without any
substantive interchange between list members on the topics raised.  I much
preferred earlier discussions about corporate welfare, reforming the social
security system, global warming, etc., when people actually posted their own
original thinking, or at least made the effort to explain why linked material
might be interesting in view of the topic at hand.

This topic coming up here prompts me to consider other possible groups where
the discussion is more stimulating and interactive, though I would dearly miss
Ode Coyote, Mike, and a few others....

Linda
The Truly Educated Never Graduate