Maybe your area is simply too dry. But since I have spent quite a bit of time in the woods and forest in the past, I have found that at least in Tennessee finding springs is easy. Either walk the river, or on the road dive, until you cross a year round creek. Then walk up the creek, and virtually 100% of the time you will find a spring within a mile, either at the creek's head, or along one of it's banks. I know of at least three springs within walking distance of my house right now, one of which produces about a gallon per second.. That is why I never bother storing water for emergencies.

Marshall

sol wrote:
Rock Springs is the "big city" to the east 15 miles. All Rock Springs municipal water comes from the Green River, same as Green River city water does. I called the historical museum, and Rock Springs did get its name from a spring. In stage coach days the stage used to stop there. The spring dried up not long after coal mining started, there was coal mining going on as far back as 1867. I was also told the aquafer is still there: the woman at the museum told me her father in law lives north of Rock Springs and has a well. He uses that water on his lawn, and for his horses, but she said "it tastes funny" so he doesn't use it for drinking. Her opinion was that nearly a hundred years of coal mining has seriously disturbed the aquafer, but there may still be a few artesian springs around, small ones. No way I could find one, LOL. And it sounds as if the water from one wouldn't be very good anyway, but it doesn't hurt the horses, apparently. Thanks for the suggestion, though it didn't help me with water, it made me re-visit local history I had long forgotten if I ever knew it.
sol

Marshall Dudley wrote:
How far are you from Rock Springs in Sweetwater county Wyoming? I bet they have good spring water there.

Marshall