Hey Folks,

I think it's the "Silent Epidemic"  across the entire U.S.  Lampley,
your husband's comment that NW Arkansas was "unreal", and he was from
western 'tick-central' in Northern CA - Southern Oregon, made me laugh;
perhaps he should revisit and do an informal tick census?  <g>  My dog
and I do an informal census every day, and as the saying goes, it ain't
pretty.  BTW It's hardly unusual to know 3 or 4 people who have Lyme,
around here.

During tick season, - which seems to be extending itself from the first
rains in winter into the summer the last couple of years - I regularly
do nightly tick patrol on the Pup; and regularly I'll get 15 to 20 ticks
off her, and hit a high of 50 one evening.  I manage to get a few
myself, usually before they dig in.  She IS a tick magnet though, low,
Corgi style, long black hair.  FWIW, ticks are attracted to CO2 among
other things, so anyone wanting to do a slightly more formal tick census
can put out a piece of dry ice under a white towel. . . .

They have definitely gotten Much worse, the Pup occasionally shows signs
of infection at the bite sites, and something I have almost never seen
before; a tick feeding on - i.e. plugged into the stomach of - another
tick, plugged into the hide of my dog.  Perhaps this is part of the
breeding cycle?  Dunno, I've got to check it out with a knowledgeable
entomologist; the local veterinarian is a rich source of outdated
misinformation, though the local MD's are beginning late last year, this
year, to get the picture, we've got Lyme Disease, endemic.

"Fibromyalgia" is such a lousy diagnosis; what does it mean after all?
You've got pain in your muscles and joints - Sheesh!  Isn't that what
you just told the doc?  CS is one of the therapies that's been shown to
work, though the spirochete is a devious little bugger and hides in the
joints and even nerves for years - one of the reasons standard ABX are
problematic in chronic cases - as is any therapy, to be fair.

The Townsend Letter had a couple of good articles on Lyme disease and
it's treatment a few years ago, including the efficacy of CS:

http://www.townsendletter.com/Jan2005/lyme0105.htm

http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMar2006/lyme0206.htm

Regarding the increased prevalence of ticks and the associated diseases
they are vectors for, I can suggest a book with good documentation on
the subject; Lab 257 by Michael Christopher Carroll.  This is not a
conspiracy theory rant, he acknowledges the necessity of bio-warfare
research, just presents the factual history of events at lab 257 on Plum
Island and the surrounding environs.  Believe me, that's enough - more
than.

The tests for Lyme are not reliable; at this stage of the game most docs
are being taught to take the number and severity of the symptoms into
account to diagnose, the western blot or whatever are no longer
considered sufficient to rule it out or in.