Switch faster and you 'favor' a whitish hydroxide deposit vs blackish oxide and the process takes significantly longer as here are a few seconds out of each shift where nothing much is happening while the polarity dependent electro-chemistry swaps positions. There's no major buildup either way and both white and black deposits are constantly being converted into ions and each other....they don't matter.
No need to do anything but wipe off the loose stuff when done.

Ode