Dorothy Fitzpatrick wrote:
Why do you add H202 if I might ask?  Is it not clear to start with?  dee

On 22 Jul 2009, at 12:26, Peter Converse wrote:

Hi Marshall and other list members,

My EIS was 24 hours old and approximately 25 ppm. It was only slightly yellow but possibly on the way to a deeper shade.

I have been able to use 3% food grade H2O2 to clear a ~25 ppm. batch in the past by adding up to one drop per ounce, as I did this time, but in this case I made mud. I didn't want to wait another day to add the peroxide (which I probably should have).

I recall that my earlier successes involved a more stabilized EIS, as you suggested; one having sat on the shelf for several days before adding H2O2.

H2O2 does a redox on the CS/ionic silver combination. It oxidizes the colloidal particles making ionic, and reduces the ionic, making 2 atom colloidal particles. The effect is to reduce the particle size of the colloid to almost 100% 2 atom particles, and also to increase the colloidal portion from about 10% to what is estimated to be 25 to 30%.

Marshall