I think it must be the water Joy. The only time I ever got yellow was when I was filling the plastic bottles right to the top. This didn't allow the plastic to 'out-gas' I think. But I have *never* had yellow silver in my brewing container, at least, only when I ran it on manual for 10 hours to make a strong batch for making gel with. And I am very much a novice. dee