Subject : CS>Vitamin C and Hardening of the Arteries

Date : Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:07:02 -0600

From : "Norton, Steve" <stephen.nor...@ngc.com>

To : <silver-list@eskimo.com>

I sent this once but received back an error message. Trying again.

I ran across the following info that says that Vitamin C may cause

hardening of the arteries. I am used to seeing info saying that Vitamin

C is good for the arteries such as the link further down. I don't take

very high doses of Vitamin C, 500 - 1000 mg, but now I am concerned.

Anyone have better data?

Thanks,

- Steve N

http://altmedangel.com/arteries.htm

"Ascorbic Acid Causes Hardening of the Arteries?

It seems hardly likely that taking high doses of vitamin C (ascorbic

acid) can cause thickening or hardening of the arteries since so many

people have taken high doses for a long time. Yet researchers from the

University of California reported just that on March 2, 2000. People who

took 500 mgs of ascorbic acid had a 2.5 times faster progression of

thickening of the carotid artery (hardening of the arteries) than people

who took no supplement.

This study was not a clinical study where subjects are divided into

those taking ascorbic acid and those taking a placebo. This was an

epidemiological study which means patient records were examined and this

finding popped up. There might well have been other confounding factors

that would explain the artery-thickening finding.

Nonetheless, the researchers were surprised at the finding. And it

seemed that the higher the dose of ascorbic acid, the worse the artery

damage (the more they took, the faster the buildup). In fact, smokers

taking 500 mgs of ascorbic acid had a rate of artery thickening five

times greater than nonsmokers not taking the supplement. And while no

one is sure what this all means, the researchers did come up with some

common sense ideas about fractionated supplementation.

The director of the study astutely observed that "when you extract one

component of food and give it at very high levels, you just don't know

what you are doing to the system, and it may be adverse." Other

researchers were quick to add that the research shows the uncertainties

of picking out a single vitamin among the plethora of nutrients in a

healthy diet. They added that it is a challenge to pick out nutrients

that may make people live longer because if we are wrong, we can do

harm"

_______

http://www.medical-library.net/vitamin_c_and_vascular_disease.html

"Animals In The Wild Do Not Get Heart Attacks

The process of atherosclerosis is limited to humans. Animals in the wild

do not develop atherosclerosis, therefore no heart attacks and no

strokes occur among these citizens of nature. To induce an animal to

have atherosclerosis you have to put it in captivity and feed it the

kind of diet which humans use to cause the problem. The guinea pig and

fruit bat make good models, if this is what you want to do. The gorilla

would make a good model, but who wants fifty gorillas lined up in a

laboratory?

Animals in the wild do not get heart attacks because they make their own

ascorbate, and therefore the process of atherosclerosis does not begin.

We humans could take the hint, load up on vitamin C and a few other

vitamins twice each day for life and eradicate heart disease. This is

already happening in the U.S. where ascorbate consumption has

skyrocketed over the past 25 years, and heart disease has dropped by one

third. The war against smoking may also have something to do with this,

yet in countries where smoking has declined in the absence of increased

ascorbate consumption, there has been no equivalent change in heart

disease rates."

"All The Known Actions of Ascorbate

1. Increases HDL (high density lipoprotein) production. (HDL is able to

help resorb fat located in plaque. In the process it changes from a disc

shape to a globular form of HDL, and takes this fat to the liver to be

burned.)

2. Decreases the production of lipoprotein(a). (Somehow the liver knows

when there is plenty of ascorbate on board, and therefore no need for

high levels of lipoprotein(a) which is, after all, a repair factor for

the cracks in blood vessel walls which come up in the absence of

sufficient ascorbate.)

3. Down-regulates cholesterol and triglyceride production in the liver.

[These are secondary repair factors in that they are glued into the

plaque by lipoprotein(a).]

4. Lowers blood sugar and insulin requirements.

5. By relaxing the blood vessel walls, lowers blood pressure when

hypertension is present. (This is not the total answer to a case of

hypertension, but it can help.)

6. Inhibits inappropriate intravascular clot formation (the final and

sometimes deadly event in cases of heart attacks and strokes)."