At 09:26 AM 1/20/2010, you wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone here have any anecdotal experience using CS on avian pox? I suspect we have had a couple of house finches in my usual backyard flock succumb to it. It is supposedly a virus, but I'm stuck as to how to get CS into "MY" backyard songbird population in any good fashion. Last night, we had another actually flutter to the back door and sit on the mat in full view of the housecat inside.

Yes, I have. Whenever we see a bird with avian pox or the other disease, (I forget the name), we start putting CS in the birdbaths. I have been personally unsuccessful in catching one of these birds in order to treat them my spraying their eyes/faces with CS. But we used to see many house finches with these diseases, and since we started using CS in the birdbaths, and also washing down feeder perches and feeding ports with CS, we often go years without seeing one. I understand also that the disease is some what irruptive, but also flourishes when there is a lot of crowding, so we have done some things to reduce crowding at feeders also.

Keep the water changed as often as possible and put a large slug of CS in the waterers/birdbaths with every water change.
sol