Mixing silver with paint or caulk should help, using diamotacious earth will not.

Marshall

Annie B Smythe wrote:
Mike, would Dimotaceous earth work on mold? I know it's good for lots of things but don't remember seeing anything about mold.

If you use a silver solution with small enough particles to paint the caulking, would that work? I'm wondering if DMSO would make it sink in or dissolve the caulking? Or maybe stripping the caulking, mixing silver powder with the new caulking and recaulk with the silver mixture? Or maybe copper?

Annie

Control your destiny or somebody else will.~Jack Welsh

Mike Monett wrote:
  > So, Mike.  I  live  in the south -  where  heat  and  moisture are
  > common, especially  in the summer. At least a  couple  times every
  > summer, I find a mold patch or two on my shower curtain,  where it
  > folds together  when  the  shower is not in use.  I  keep  a spray
  > bottle of bleach right in the shower area so I can spray  these as
  > soon as  I  spot them, then I rinse the area with  clean  water as
  > soon as  the mold disappears from the shower  curtain.  The shower
  > curtain, incidentally,  is vinyl. Are you saying that I when  I do
  > this, I haven't killed the mold? That the spores remain  alive? If
  > so, then where are they? MA

  Hi MaryAnn,

  Boy, this  is  the perfect example of how  the  list  archives would
  help. I  posted  a detailed analysis of mold  growth  long  ago, and
  spent considerable time finding the links with the best  pictures to
  illustrate the  various components. All I would have to  do  is find
  the post,  which is easy in google or mail-archive, check  the links
  to make  sure they are still valid, and post the link  with  a brief
  message. It is starting to look like that might be possible again.

  In the  meantime,  I also keep a squeeze bottle with  bleach  in the
  shower, and spray it on the mold when it starts becoming noticeable.

  I don't bother rinsing, but let the bleach dry into  crystals. These
  wash away  the  next time I take a shower. But  like  you,  the mold
  always comes back.

  There are  three  components  to mold:  the  invisible  spores which
  propagate the  plant,  the  visible part that  you  can  see  on the
  surface, and a hidden part called the hyphae, which you cannot see.

  The hyphae  is buried in whatever the mold is growing  on,  like the
  root of a tree.

  Bleach will  kill the visible part on the surface, but as  far  as I
  can tell,  it has no effect on the spores. The channels made  by the
  hyphae are  too small for bleach to penetrate, so it can't  kill the
  root portion.

  So when  you  apply bleach to a surface, you only  kill  the visible
  part.

  The spores continue to germinate, and the hyphae start  growing back
  immediately.

  In addition,  new  spores continually arrive. If they  are  the same
  kind of  mold,  they  will probably start  growing.  If  they  are a
  different kind,  they  may not survive the  toxins  produced  by the
  existing mold.  This  is  the effect that led  to  the  discovery of
  penicillin by Fleming in 1928, as well as Tyndall in  1875, Duchesne
  in 1897, and Picado between 1915 and 1927.

  The mold coats the spores with toxins to destroy any competition. We
  are just the collateral damage in their biological warfare.

  However, I  am  excited  by the recent post by  Pat  and  my private
  emailer concerning  chlorine  dioxide.  If  this  works  as  well to
  inhibit mold  as  it  does for libraries, it  might  be  the perfect
  solution for people with severe mold allergies.

  But it  would  have to be a multiple approach.  Put  the  packets in
  various rooms  to kill the spores, and make a closet  into  a sealed
  chamber to  hang  bedding.   Hopefully   the  chlorine  dioxide will
  penetrate the fabric and kill the spores. I'm trying to  locate some
  right now, and will report the results to the list.

  More news later,

  Mike M.