Hi folks,

I've been meaning to post a message on how we use the archives when
helping each other and new people.

I imagine that most of you that have used them already, notice that
search results can be all over the map. They're sorted, I think, by
some measure of relevance. Whereas it might be nice to sort by date,
subject, or sender as well, that is not an option at present.

There are many ways to tweak and refine the search, but the syntax
takes a bit of work to learn, and despite your best efforts, it can be
tough to find exactly what you were looking for.

I want you to keep this experience clearly in mind when you are tempted
to suggest someone 'look in the archives' to answer a question. Even
answering the simplest questions can become a nightmare search effort,
especially when one doesn't know exactly what to look for.

As a minimum, before telling them to make an archive search, please
attempt it yourself -- and provide the search terms you found most
useful.

If it turns out to be more complicated than you thought, describe the
steps you took, along with giving the relevant message links.

Best of all, summarize and describe what you found, to give them a feel
for the context *and* to add words to the archive that might aid other
people's searches in the future.

The idea here is, rather than send some poor soul off to assault the
Great Wall of China with a teaspoon, instead give them a guided head
start that lets them experience, first hand, bringing up the archive
URL in their browser; typing search terms into the search box and
hitting the button; and scrolling through and displaying the results to
find what they need... Without having to figure it all out from
scratch.

I can imagine no better way to get them started learning how to help
themselves!

In the world of Linux geekdom, one of the worst forms of arrogance and
hostility is expressed by the acronym, RTFM, which stands for Read The
F***ing Manual. As an answer to a question, it is at best useless when
you can't yet even find the right manual, let alone the right chapter
or page. At worst, it's the kind of thoughtless and insulting response
that drives people away for good.

Please meet people where they're at. As you get better at using the
archives, remember the learning curve you had to climb.

Add in the ever present concern that someone might be stressed,
fatigued, brain-fogged, in pain, or otherwise challenged by the health
issues they're coming to us with, and it will be easier to remember why
they might need a little more help than they "ought to."

I've been dreaming up a few suggestions to make to the archive folks to
improve the interface, as well as thinking about how I can supplement
the search facility via our own web pages. If you have ideas or
suggestions based on your experience, please contribute them.

Thank you for all the help and sharing that goes on here. You do good
work, folks.

Be well!

Mike Devour
siver-list owner