At 09:14 AM 2/28/2010, you wrote:

Glucose enters the cells through the action of insulin; fructose enters the cells through the action of something called a Glut-5 transporter, which does not depend on insulin. This transporter is absent from pancreatic B-cells and the brain, which indicates limited entry of fructose into these tissues. Glucose provides "satiety" signals to the brain that fructose cannot provide because it is not transported into the brain.

However, most of the fructose in fruit is in the form of L-fructose or levulose;

It goes on to state that diabetics can safely consume some fruit. I believe Dr. Bernstein disagrees with that. I am going to re-read his books to see what he says about fructose in general and fructose in fruit. But meantime, I believe he does not consider fruit safe for diabetics in general, and I remember seeing him quoted somewhere as saying he had not eaten a piece of fruit in 30 some years. So anyone here who is diabetic, and now thinks fruit is safe might want to read his books before diving into the oranges and apples. sol