My understanding is that reflections of the laser light only come from silver "particles", not from silver ions (ok, ions are particles too, but you know what I mean). So if your brew is highly ionic, you will have only a weak tyndall effect (what I usually get from the SG6). If the tyndall effect is thick and solid looking, then you have a lot more silver particles in suspension as a colloid (only the ions are truly "dissolved"). However, a heavy tyndall effect is ok as long as the brew is crystal clear. In fact, I understand that Marshall says it is actually better to have plenty of particles as well as ions.

As for me, I am always trying for highly ionic CS, with as few particles as possible.

Del
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dorothy Fitzpatrick" <d...@deetroy.org>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: CS>where is everyone? now - serious CS questions

Hi Leslie, this is one of the problems I have had i.e. the machine hasn't turned off for over six hours even though the ambient temperature has actually risen here. The ppm has only been six at this point so to reach 10ppm I've had to run it for another two hours. This is for only half a litre, so I'm wondering if this is what is causing the yellowing. I use a simple TDS meter which is not accurate but is near enough. The red laser pointer is to test the finished CS for 'tyndall effect' which shows that you actually have silver in your solution. If you have, it makes a clear red line through the CS water. dee