----- Original Message -----
From: James Osbourne, Holmes <a...@trail.com>

Hey James,
You are the second person to call me Ian this week. What happened
did someone change my name ( the source of my power < wilt >)
when I wasn't looking?

> Thanks for the clarification Ian.  You're the last clause of
your
> statement:, "The manner of
> creating ions by electrolysis is well researched and straight
> forward, if not fully understood." ,  certainly applies to me.
>
>  My comments to excerpts from your last post:
>
> Ian:
> "The manner of
> creating ions by electrolysis is well researched and straight
> forward, if not fully understood.
> One would need to add protons to create a positive charge,
which
> would create a different element? Hydrogen ions (protons) have
> positive charge and are unlikely to combine with silver (there
> are no silver hydrides). They are more likely to be reduced at
> the cathode as hydrogen gas."
>
> JOH:   I am suggesting not that the proton enters the nucleus
of a silver
> atom to create a new element, but that it may be somehow
associated---is
> that vague enough?---with the metallic Ag cluster.  Some of the
hydrogen
> bubbles off at the electrode; some stays in solution as ionized
water,
> balancing the pair of oxygen atoms.  Isn't pH the log of the
number of free
> protons in the solution?   If the electrolysis current took an
extra
> electron rather than donating on it would leave a proton.
Could some of
> them be contributing to the plus charge on/around(?) the silver
cluster?

Yes pH is the negative log of free H+ ions. At pH 7 there are an
equal number of H+ ions and OH- ions. When a potential is applied
in the water, the H+ ions head straight for the Negative
electrode where they are supplied with an electron, combine and
head for the surface as Hydrogen gas. There are no free oxygen
ions in water. Water molecules are not disassociated easily.
There are no free electrons in the water (electrons can't swim,
as one text put it).
So there is not much that can happen to the silver other than to
lose electrons at the anode and regain them at the cathode, and
exist as silver ions in between.

> Ian:
> "Silver Colloid particles are agrigates of either single silver
> ions (simple ions) creating complex ions, or simple ions and
> metallic atoms which will have a charge lower than the former.
> Monoatomic ions are reactive because of their size, multiatomic
> ions are able to accept more electrons per particle."
>

> JOH:  What is the difference between a "complex silver ion" and
a metallic
> silver colloid particle?  Or, what is the difference between
multiatomic
> ions---and a colloid?   If multiatomic ions are able to accept
more
> electrons than a bit of metal, doesn't that make them more
reactive?  Is
> there a difference between a multiatomic silver ion and a
charged metallic
> silver particle?  Are we making some of both?

A complex ion, or multiatomic ion, is an agrigate of monatomic
ions. The charge on this particle is the same as the charge on
one atom times the number of atoms it is composed of. A metallic
silver colloid particle has no charge.
A colloid may be composed of multiatomic ions, or metallic
particles, or a combination of both. The term colloid describes
the state that exists between between particles and solvant. This
mostly means the suspended particles must be of a particular
size, where they will not easily settle out or cannot be thought
to be dissolved.
When I mention multiatomic ions I mean a particle composed of
monatomic ions. A charged metallic particle suggests a particle
that has lost one or more electrons but has more first valency
electrons that it could loose. In other words a particle which
consists of ions and atoms.
If we allow the sludge or treeing accumulated on the cathode to
enter the solution, we are making both.

> Most everyone agrees that a silver salt, most certainly highly
ionized, is
> more reactive that a silver colloidal particle.  Is that so?

The silver is not more reactive but the compound is. Different
silver salts have different reactions. Silver can do no more than
oxidise or bond to other compounds or elements, or perhaps allow
reactions as a catalyst.

> I think the question I have when boiled down is:
>
>  if a single-atom "ion" is a "colloid", then what distinguishes
it from a
>  "dissolved" atom "in solution"?

Ahh the nub!
A single-atom ion is in solution. But it is difficult to achieve
this. Water OZ claim this feature, using laser ablation I
believe, the trick being to cool and arrest the agrigation of the
single atomic ions. A colloid by definition has particles 1 nm or
larger in size, which therefore must contain multi-atom
particles.

> Thanks for your continuing instruction.  Please be patient with
my
> questions, they arise more from intuition than technical
knowledge.

> And yes, I remain confused.

I am happy to be of help James, and I rely on my intuition to
guide me to the answers I seek, seems to work for me.
Be it noted that I am not infalible...and answers are correct to
the best of my knowledge.

> James Osbourne, Holmes

Ivan.