Its the camphor in it that kills ticks, camphor is very potent. It used to be, Vicks had a higher concentration of camphor, but the FDA got all angry because it was curing stuff, so they limited any sale in the US to be 10% or less refined camphor. The US version of Tiger Balm is very poor quality, the one you get off Ebay from Thailand, now that's the good stuff. Around 20% camphor! If you have an asian grocery store around, you can find "Monkey Holding Peach" which is even more potent than any of them. It's purely medicinal, and amazing.. Stops pains in seconds, stops headaches. I think it is around 25% camphor, along with other good stuff in it. I have a few satchels of it around here.

Vicks today, is a distant cousin of the vastly more effective medicinal Vicks from days past before the FDA tyranny.

Ode Coyote wrote:
I just found out that Vicks Vapo Rub kills ticks just as well as it kills Mange mites...makes em slippery enough to tug out easy too...and no more itching.

Ode